AbstractBACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Patients with follicular lymphoma (FL) who do not respond to first-line chemotherapy or those who relapse after obtaining a remission have a poor outcome with standard treatment. In an effort to obtain a high rate of responses we designed an intensive brief duration salvage chemotherapy regimen. DESIGN AND METHODS: Forty-four consecutive patients with advanced follicular lymphoma were treated. Nine had primary refractory disease, 13 had achieved a partial remission, 16 were in untreated relapse or progression and six were in chemosensitive relapse. The IAPVP-16 regimen consists in ifosfamide 5 g/m(2) iv on day 1, etoposide 100 mg/m(2) iv on days 1-3, Ara-C 1.2 g/m(2)/12 hours iv on days 1-2 and methylprednisolone, 80 mg/m(2) iv on days 1-5. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor was used from day 6 in 68 of 114 courses. RESULTS: Eighteen patients (41%) achieved a complete remission and 17 (39%) a partial remission, for an overall response rate of 80%. There were no treatment-related deaths. All treatment courses were followed by severe neutropenia, and 66% also by severe thrombocytopenia, but there were no serious hemorrhagic events. Neutropenic fever occurred in 56% of the courses with only four severe infections. Non-hematologic toxicity was modest. Twenty-eight patients proceeded to a stem cell transplantation. After a median follow-up of 25 months (range 4-95), the median progression-free survival and overall survival are 32 and 58 months, respectively. The median PFS was 33 months for responders and 11 months for non-responders (p=0.05), while the median OS has not been reached in responders and is 23 months in non-responders (p=0.0005). INTERPRETATION AND CONCLUSIONS:. The IAPVP-16 regimen is an effective and well tolerated treatment for advanced FL, allowing most eligible patients to proceed with significant tumor reduction to high-dose therapy and SCT.
Figures & Tables
Vol. 84 No. 10 (1999): October, 1999 : Clinical Trial
Ferrata Storti Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Statistics from Altmetric.com